Wednesday, May 6, 2009

tortillas

I have always preferred corn tortillas to flour, when I found the brand locally made in sacramento, ca "mi abuelita" I was profoundly happy, just kept only buying those, or the mega pack from costco, guerrero brand mostly for the freezer and casseroles, well the past month I have been unable to find the mi abuelita brand, so I bought some other brand, brought it home, read the label and was dumbfounded with the 11 ingredient count and the chemicals......decided to make some on cinco de mayo, they were good in taste but not perfectly round, easy to make and I will make them again...with prettier results! I took this challenge from Whatscooking, this photo on flickr got me thinking T for tuesday tortilla and it happened to be cinco de mayo, the challenge changes monthly and this month was Tortillas so I looked around online for a recipe and used this recipe
  • 2 cups masa flour
  • 1 cup warm water
  • 1/4 cup lime or lemon juice
  • 1/2 t sea salt
I mixed it together with a fork, then kneaded it into a ball, put that in a ziploc mashed it into a disc, let it sit 30 minutes then formed 8 equal sized balls, smashed and rolled them (with a french pin) -no tortilla press here, but that would make it way easier to get them into tortilla shapes, sadly mine resembled some free form boot like italian border rather than a circle, I then griddled them on a HOT dry griddle 30 seconds 1st side, 1 minute 2nd, let them rest in a warm place and then fried them in oil and topped them like a toastada, and the bits that broke apart were used to dunk in homemade refried beans very very yummy and delicate Here is hoping next time they are as pretty as the challenge photo, nice and uniform in shape and professional looking!

No comments: