Thursday, October 30, 2008

my 1st attempt at tamales

I made a small batch of about 10 smallish tamales with leftover chicken cut off the carcass, grated cheese and 30 green olives cut in 1/2...i used 1 tablespoon chicken and 1 tablespoon cheese per tamale, with 4-6 olive halves, next time I will put more filling, just wanted to follow the recipe i had I heated the broth in a saucepan with the cumin, then added it to the cornmeal baking powder and salt, mixing it by hand to insure there were no lumps, i blended the shortening with an electric mixer to kind of whip it up and then added the cornmeal/broth mixture in 3 increments, finishing by smushing in by hand to insure even distribution, it was pretty easy.......I had corn husks, fresh from shucking corn yesterday, i put them in boiling water in a rectangular pan to make sure they were pliable, and let them sit to cool in the water in the pan for about 30 minutes, i made square tamales by folding one husk in each direction around the filling mentioned above, I first tried to steam them above my rice in the rice cooker, but they were not getting enough heat, so i put them in an electric vegi steamer alone for an hour with a damp rag on top of them, and they were perfectly cooked in that hour!

2 comments:

Mommakitten said...

I will have to try this recipe! I just wanted to stop in and say i was searching other blogs who had the same "interests" as I do and in the keywords you had Micro Preemies. My twins were born at 27 weeks and 6 days. I look forward to reading more on your blog.

icedteaforme said...

Congrats on your twins! My micro preemie is now a 24 pound 2 1/2 year old and as our only child is WAY too spoiled! I am just over protective and an older mom that has no clue what I am doing half the time! Thanks for your comment, off to check out your blog now!